- Vocal books to build repertoire in chosen genre will be recommended and will be available online.
- Vocal exercises should be practiced daily for 15-20 minute increments for significant vocal progress. Songs and repertoire should also be practiced daily or at least three times a week for best results.
- Janelle specializes in pop, rock, Broadway, and classical. However, she is experienced in several other genres including jazz, classic rock, and country.
- For very young students, lessons will focus on learning melodies using the call and response method. Teacher sings and student repeats melody on “la” and then on the lyrics.
- Lessons for older students will have a heavy emphasis on vocal technique and vowel modifications.
- Vocal Exercises are taught and recorded in order to improve pitch, tone, range, breathing, and power.
- Pop vocal techniques including healthy belting and singing in the mix voice will be explained.
- Audition preparation for theater, performing arts schools, talent shows, and singing contests.
- Vocal exercises in song form tailored to each specific song’s need.
- Songs will be sung on a specific vowel before singing on the lyrics to improve tone, power, and breathing.
- Focus for all ages will be on producing a strong sound and reducing any breathy quality in the sound.
- Music recitals will be offered. Performing and attending recitals is not mandatory, but encouraged for musical growth.
- Classical piano is taught through the Alfred and Piano Adventures series. Students will learn how to read music and play fun challenging pieces.
- Beginners age 5-7 start with the Little Mozart series by Alfred Publishing which includes playing basic melodies, fingering techniques, and music theory exercises in a fun and creative coloring book that accompanies the lesson book. These books also come with stuffed toys and flash cards to facilitate an enjoyable and productive learning environment. Once children graduate, they being the Alfred prep series. At this age, it is still important to practice daily in 15 minutes increments for best results. All materials can be purchased online.
- Children ages 7-11 use the Alfred PREP lesson book series with supplemental books including Piano Adventures Performance book which includes fun challenging pieces. Coloring activities and flash cards are also included in addition to beginning to learn how to play basic pop melodies if so desired.
- Older children 11 and up start with Alfred level 1A and also use the accompanying theory book. They will also use Piano Adventures books for exciting and challenging pieces. At this age, they are ready to be introduced to pop chords.
- Adult piano is taught via the Adult Alfred books but also includes more of a flexible pop chord approach. Song composition, improvisation, ear training, performance techniques, fingering techniques, and theory will also be included. Pop piano books from Hal Leonard’s educational library are recommended. All books can be purchased online.
Lessons are offered both in my home studio and in students homes pending availability and location.
Ready To Schedule Your Lessons?
Finamore Voice & Piano Lessons are offered both in my home studio and in students homes pending availability and location.
Other Service Areas for Piano & Voice Lessons:
Finamore Voice & Piano Blog
OC Voice & Piano Lessons
OC Voice & Piano Lessons